Wednesday 3 March 2010

Sound Effects


I contributed a lot to the sound effects within our environment. Indeed, without sound I believe our environment would have been very dull despite the nice visuals. The sound effects certainly added a new dimension to the environment and introduced far more weight to each shot. The sound effects not only created an interesting atmosphere to surround the environment but also injected life into each shot.

I used sound effects to suggest things happening out of frame and thus enhance the visual experience. I attempted to use sound to make the environment seem larger, believable and realistic as possible. I wanted the sound to suggest animation both seen and unseen. For example I wanted tank track sound effects to be heard despite the fact that in some scenes the dump truck's wheels were not animated. I wanted the sounds to inform the viewer of how large the scale was of our environment. The wind sound effects worked extraordinarily well with the dust layers and certainly improved the exterior shots. I focused on using sound effects that would fit in the environment. I wanted the viewer to think that the sounds they were hearing belonged to the objects that were making them.

To me sound is 75% of the experience and I wanted it just right. Sound edited effectively can do wonders and enhance the visuals ten fold. I know we are not being graded on sound however not putting sound on to the final edit would have been a disappointment and would not have done the environment any favors. The sound files were perhaps the most expensive thing out of the whole project. All the sounds roughly cost about $30.

No comments:

Post a Comment